Sunday 28 February 2016

I Got a Job!

Sorry I haven't been as active with my blog lately but I promise there is a reason. After at least a couple of years of applying for jobs and being rejected from numerous employers, I finally have a job!

From supermarkets to clothing stores to restaurants, I applied everywhere and made no progress beyond one interview. I now work in a small, local cafe called 'The Bluebird Cafe'. It is a short fifteen minute walk from my house and ideal for my first job. My aunt's best friend lives next door to the woman who owns the cafe and mentioned me during a conversation with her; the next thing I know, I have a trial shift.


Walking down to begin my trial shift, I was extremely nervous. The weather was dry but very cold so I wasn't expecting the day to be very busy. I could not have been more wrong! Shortly after my arrival, the sun surfaced and so did all the customers. I barely had an hour to learn everything from the layout of the cafe and names of other employees to the cash register and coffee machine. It was hectic and stressful but I enjoyed myself. Despite the chaotic atmosphere, the owner thought I did well and offered me the job. I was absolutely delighted! The other employee's are lovely, helpful and always making jokes. The cash register and the coffee machine were the two things I was most nervous about but after a couple of tries, I got the hang of it and picked it up quite quickly.

Finding an employer who was willing to work around my university life and my First Aiding proved to be difficult but the ladies at The Bluebird are more than willing. They think my First Aiding is an amazing thing to have and they don't want to hinder it in any way. This attitude was a complete bonus for me, I am both glad and grateful to be able to work and earn my own money and continue my First Aid voluntary work.

Now that I am an employed woman, it was only sensible for me to go out and purchase some suitable work clothes, at least that is what I told myself. The only guideline I was given from my boss (feels weird to say) was that in work, we wear black. Black is a terrible colour to try and photograph, especially when it is clothing so now, description is the key.

First, I went to Primark. I picked up two pairs of simple, black trousers and a couple of long sleeved, black tops. I then moved on to a couple of lightweight, black jumpers that have a slight batwing effect and can be layered if it's cold, a black knitted skirt and a black scarf. 


With my clothing sorted I had to pick up some suitable shoes, Primark had none that I liked so I ventured a little further and went to Topshop. I found a pair of black, slip on, snake print shoes that were my size and also happened to be on sale! Originally £35, I paid a very respectable £8 for them. The second place I checked was ASOS. I was looking for a pair of flat, paten, T bar shoes and that is exactly what I found and they were also on sale for £8. With the work uniform sorted, now it's just a matter of getting more shifts.

I have only had a couple of shifts so far but they have all been great and I can't wait to get my shift schedule for March. Everyone is welcoming and helpful, which makes me less anxious and more solicitous to work and learn.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment