Thursday 28 April 2016

Trying Weird American Candy!

I have three exams over the next couple of weeks so the majority of my time is being spent studying, at least it should be! There is only so much Psychology a person can handle at any one time, so what better way to take a break than to try a bunch of weird flavoured American Candy? My brother and I both decided to try all the weird flavoured candy we could find, even though we soon became quite limited in our options since I have an allergy to chocolate and the majority of American Candy contains or is coated in chocolate but we managed to find a good number of things all the same.

We had tried the original flavoured Fluff which is basically just a marshmallow spread. We liked the original and my brother liked the Strawberry flavour but we had never came across the caramel flavour before. Neither of us was too keen on it. In our opinion, it had a slight coffee flavour to it, which just doesn't appeal to us. Something we both enjoyed when we went to America a few years ago was Twizzlers so when we found the Strawberry and Vanilla flavoured ones, we could not resist. Stuart absolutely loved these and nearly ate them all to himself! I thought they were okay but didn't think they had a great deal of flavour to them. 

We did find another flavour of Twizzlers that I liked a lot better; Strawberry Lemonade flavour. These Twizzlers had the Strawberry Lemonade flavour as a gel in the middle of the normal Twizzler and tasted great, they were definitely one of my favourites. Mike and Ike's weren't something I'd heard of before but looked good and since they were one of the few American items that weren't coated in chocolate, I was definitely up for trying them. Berry Blast and Strawberry Melody were the first packets we bought and I much preferred the Berry Blast packet; it had Wild Berry, Strawberry, Blueberry, Blue Raspberry and Peach & Blueberry flavours. They are extremely flavourful and are quite similar if not identical to Jelly Beans, just with more flavour. The Strawberry Melody packet was my brother's preference because it had Strawberry, Strawberry & Raspberry, Strawberry & Banana, Strawberry & Peach and Strawberry & Watermelon flavours and he tends to favour those.

We then came across another packet of Mike and Ike's in the Tropical Typhoon flavour. Watermelon, Strawberry & Banana, Strawberry & Pineapple, Peach & Pineapple and Orange were the flavours in this packet and it's safe to say that I definitely ate all the Watermelon flavoured sweets and my brother ate the Strawberry ones! My brother picked out the Welch's Filled Liquorice Sticks next because we loved the juice when we were younger. Similarly to the Strawberry & Lemonade Twizzlers, these had the gel flavouring in the center of the sweet. We both liked these a lot and it's safe to say that they did not last very long at all! I would definitely eat these again. One of the stranger things we picked up was Cinnamon Bun Bites. These appealed to me because I absolutely love cinnamon buns! Unfortunately these were disgusting. They didn't have any sweetness to them whatsoever, they were extremely grainy and tasted completely artificial. I was a little disappointed with these but we still had plenty more things to try.

Since we got the Caramel Fluff it was only fair to get the original flavour as well. It was a different brand but it is essentially still a marshmallow spread. Stuart and I don't bother to use this as a spread, we simply grab some spoons and dig in. It is amazing. Basically pure sugar and the worst possible thing for your teeth but it is just so good. I am not keen on many of the Pop Tart flavours because they either have chocolate in them or tend to be flavours that don't appeal to me. When I found a Brown Sugar Cinnamon flavour, I couldn't wait to try them, especially when I hated Pop Tarts as a child. These are incredibly sweet and incredibly bad for you but again, taste so good. I could definitely see me eating these in the Winter months, nearer Christmas time for breakfast, the Cinnamon flavour just makes them seem festive to me. Onto one of my favourite sweets we found; Ice Breakers Sours. Both my brother and I favour sour sweets and both loved these. They have Orange, Apple and Watermelon favours, all of which I love. Especially the Watermelon so these became one of my favourites and one of my re-purchases. 

A couple of days after Stuart and I had bought the first packet of Ice Breakers Sours, my mum came home with a new kind. This packet had Cherry, Strawberry and Raspberry flavours in it and are just as good as the first packet we bought, some flavours are more sour than others but we don't mind. Onto the last two things that we picked up, a standard packet of Nerds in the flavours Cherry and Watermelon. These are my favourite packet of Nerds to buy because it combines my two all time favourite flavours; cherry and watermelon. My brother liked them too but he didn't manage to get many from the packet before I got my hands on them. The last thing we tried was incredible, I loved it so much that it made it's way into my favourites for last month! Flipz White Fudge Covered Pretzels. There are not enough words to describe how amazing these snacks are. If you are a fan of sweet and salty flavours together then you will absolutely love these. I went through so many packets of these after initially trying them, so much so that my brother thought I had a problem. He liked them but isn't a huge fan of sweet and salty things so didn't love them as much as I did. They also have Flipz Chocolate Coated Pretzels which my mum liked so if you prefer chocolate, definitely give those a try.

Out of all of the candy we tried, for me the Flipz White Fudge Coated Pretzels, Ice Breakers and Cinnamon Pop Tarts were definitely my favourite. The Mike and Ike's, Twizzlers and Welch's Liquorice became my brothers favourites. Even though we didn't like all of the things we bought, it certainly gave me the break away from studying that I needed! Let me know if you try any of the things I mentioned here of if you have tried other types of American Candy that you really liked!
xxx

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SCOTTISH GIRL TRIES WEIRD AMERICAN CANDY!!1!!1!!

    ReplyDelete