Thursday 10 March 2016

Mothers Day | 2016

This year mothers day was on the 6th March, which also happened to be the same day as my Moving & Handling of Casualties update course. I was having to leave my house at 8.30am and wouldn't get back until around 5.30pm. So, unfortunately, I was missing out on most of mothers day this year. Nevertheless, I was determined to make it special for the short time that I was actually home.

My mum woke up to breakfast in bed, this is a standard thing each year but doesn't normally happen until much later in the morning. This year I got up at 7.00am to make her favourite; boiled egg on wholegrain toast with a cup of baby tea. I even chopped some Cantelope melon for her to have afterwards; another of her favourites. Even though she wakes up to breakfast in bed each year, it never fails to surprise her. She was all smiles whilst digging in. I only had about an hour to spend with her in the morning before I had to leave so I decided breakfast in bed, a small gift and her card was enough for the morning and I'd save her main present for when I got home later in the day.

My mum and I are very sentimental, we love photographs from over the years, home movies and souvenirs from various holidays. Recently, my mum has become rather fussy with being in photographs and which ones she actually likes. Luckily, there is a family picture taken early last year in one of our favourite places to go on holiday as a family; Kenmore. It's situated on the banks of Loch Tay and is about 45 minutes drive outside Perth. We absolutely love it there because the scenery is gorgeous, it's so relaxing and we can bring our dogs along too! We have gone each year for the last 8 years and don't intend to break tradition any time soon. I printed out the photograph of us all on nice photo paper and bought a 4"x 6" frame with a bit of a twist from New Look. The twist was that inside the frame was glitter and water so the frame was almost like a snow globe. My mum loves snow globes and has a little collection of them in her room so I thought this was the perfect sentimental gift and it was only £7.99!

With planning such a nice morning to Mothers Day, there had to be some kind of joke too! This is when the card came in. I was browsing Paper Chase a few days earlier and found the perfect card. It was a little bit offensive but I knew my mum would see the funny side of it, especially if I made the inside of the card all cute and pretty for her. So I couldn't resist.


The one thing my mum hates more than anything is catching her children swear, even though we are 18 and 21. Any minor swear words are fine, it's just the bigger ones she can't handle. Usually it's my brother she catches since he has a very short temper when it comes to playing his Xbox games so I thought the card was quite appropriate. My dad and brother definitely found the funny side. My mum was shocked at first, until she looked inside the card and realised I had made it all cute and pretty for her. She was very fond of the card after that.

My brother was in the process of cooking dinner for everybody when I arrived home that evening. His meal of choice was steak, vegetables and boiled potatoes; his specialty apparently. This meal was a compromise since mince and potatoes is my mums favourite meal but nobody else likes it. At dinner, we caught up about each others day and finding out what my brother had given to my mum; a book and DVD she wanted and flowers. Half way through dinner is when I thought I'd surprise her with my final gift. I told her that I'd bought tickets for us to go and see Goodnight Mister Tom in the Theatre on Thursday 10th March. Goodnight Mister Tom is her absolute favourite film so I knew she would absolutely love to see it in the theatres. The day she and I go to the theatre and out for dinner is when we will really celebrate mothers day.


Even though my mum moans at me, shouts at me, annoys me and never ever listens to me, I love seeing the look of feeling appreciated on her face. She doesn't always feel appreciated so I love to spoil her when I can and the theatre is something we only recently discovered we have a common interest in. This way we can spend more time with each other. She had a great day and I am so glad she loved all her presents. She hasn't stopped playing with the snow globe photograph since I gave it to her and she cannot wait to go to the theatre again! How did you all spend Mothers Day?
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment