Friday 1 January 2016

Reminiscing and Looking Forward to 2016

I recently re-read the post I uploaded in January of 2015 about the goals I wanted to achieve throughout the year. I have been successful in some of them but others, not so much. There have been points throughout the year when I achieved them for a short period of time but I haven't always stuck with it.

One of the first things I wanted to achieve throughout 2015 was to give more and I believe that I have achieved this. I have been first aiding more (if that's possible) and I signed up to be part of the resilience team and internal support within St Andrew's First Aid but there is always more that can be done when it comes to first aid. However, this year I want to do more for myself, it'll be hard but I think it has to be done. I'd like to learn some new things, start scrapbooking and maybe even redecorate my room.

The second thing I aimed for was to exercise more, be healthy and take better care of my skin. I am very lucky in that I have quite good skin naturally, the only thing is that it has the tendency to be quite dry. I haven't stuck to any specific skin routine like I hoped I would but I have been taking better care of my skin, which is definitely an improvement. Being healthy and exercising more has had it's ups and downs throughout the year, some months I've been super healthy and gone to the gym two or three times a week and ate clean and then others it's been the complete opposite. I do enjoy exercise and generally eat healthily anyways but I have the tendency to set my goals to high and aim to do too much within a short period of time. This is why I think I had those 'less healthy' months. Do little but often is the strategy I'm going to have a go at in 2016, I think it will be easier to stick to because I won't be planning massive three hours gym sessions two and three times a week which can be extremely off-putting. By doing a little each day, I want to increase my fitness and my general health, maybe even get to the stage where it's a part of my daily routine.

Sleep is my main problem area. I definitely do not have a good sleeping pattern and I certainly don't get enough sleep. It will be hard but I really do need to try getting a proper sleeping pattern, that in itself will improve my general health a lot. Doing more during the day and less at night will hopefully help in getting more sleep. I am sick of wasting half of my days because I don't fall asleep until the early morning and because I procrastinate too much. It needs to change, I don't need to watch all the episodes of a television show in one night, I don't need to watch hours and hours worth of YouTube videos all at once and I certainly shouldn't be doing important work in the early hours. Managing my time better and procrastinating less is going to be the key to getting more sleep at the right times, I just need to find things that keep me motivated.

Read, write and blog more is one of the goals that has been achieved some months but not others. I started off the year quite well by reading quite a bit and blogging once a week but then my motivation dropped dramatically, not just for blogging but for pretty much everything. I didn't blog for nearly half of the year and I've barely read five books since May. Once I started Blogmas in December, my motivation returned and I am really pleased that I managed to blog every single day in December and I loved it. It was a challenge to begin with but after a week it became part of my day. I doubt I will blog every single day next year because 2016 has some challenges lined up for me but posting at least three times a week and reading a little each day sounds good.

The most difficult of my goals for 2015 was to be happier and more confident within myself. I can very proudly say that my confidence has improved a great deal which surprised me greatly because for the best part of twenty years, I had no confidence. I believe my confidence has is because of first aiding and the people I work with on a weekly basis. Everyone is always full of support and encouragement, believing in myself and my own skills was a huge step for me but it has increased my general confidence as well. I wouldn't give up my position as a first aider or the friendship I have within the company for anything.

Being confident and happy is an ongoing process, it doesn't just increase all at once but I truly believe that by this time next year, I will be even more confident and happier than I am currently, especially if I surround myself with the right people. I never thought I would have the confidence to work at T in the Park, take control of serious medical situations, not feel nervous when presenting in front of crowds or even something as little as promoting my blog on social networking sites and letting people I know personally read it. I did all of those things this year and there can only be more to accomplish next year.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment